Skip to main content

Blue Water Cafe - Yaletown

Cuisine: Seafood
The Down Low: this place fancyyy, huh? (some of you just read that with a Swizz Beatz voice in your head. Nail done, hair done, everything did)
Favorite Dish: the item that is cheapest, and "a glass of their finest water" (but make sure they realize you are joking because they may come back with triple filtered mountain lake water, bottled in Japan)
Music Pairing: When you are going to shell out more than a couple sand dollars, you should be treating your ears with the finest trance chefs in the Anjuna kitchen, Above & Beyond! Their new album Common Ground is out, and as my friends can imagine, I've listened to it more than a couple of times.


Now I don't consider myself a fine dining type of person. It's weird having people other than your mom call you "sir." So instead of dressing to impress, I remained true to style and went to Blue Water Cafe in my sweatpants. Somehow I pulled it off. They actually gave me a seat at the raw bar (not to be mistaken as a sushi bar, I suppose) and I was able to 'blend in' among Vancouver's elite. 

They strategically removed me from the heat of the dining room floor

They also gave me the LOTR triology to keep me quiet

Warned me they have a sushi arsenal if I stain my napkin

They even gave me a cook book to remind me where I was

Since I knew the sweatpants were giving me away, I had to improvise the fanciness. I would read a couple pages (looking at the pictures), and pensively point and nod at a couple recipes. A waitor approached mid-point and asked if I was a chef (if only he knew how far from the truth that actually is). Instead I told him I was a wanna food blogger. Only a little more truthful, but I was desperate for fine dining cred. In that moment he realized this guy was here for bizzness, and he apologized for my wait at the start. 

The baked scallops (delicious and affordable)

Blue Water Cafe gave me a dessert, compliments of the chef!
(free for everyone, or just the wannabe food bloggers?)


At the end, the waitor asked for my food blog business card.
I have to show you this large fish decoration because I don't have a food blog business card. What a rookie!

my next job

Tasty dreams,

JB


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homer St. Cafe - Yaletown

Cuisine: Western   Rotisserie The Down Low:  With a large portrait of Winston Churchill, a cock room, and a menu that requires a dictionary to interpret, you are sure to impress any guest(s) that you take to Homer St. Favorite Dish:  The meatloaf wrapped in bacon, and the pork belly appetizer will have vegetarians from across Vancouver (>50% of the population) converging on the joint to protest and toss organic tofu at the windows. The rest of us can feel protected by the sharpened silverware. Music Pairing:  If I was really trying to make an appropriate pairing, it would be some sort of jazz, blues or swing, but I have a Jimi Hendrix vinyl on in the background, so bringing back some R&R classics.  Lover Man and Purple Haze Every time I go to Homer St. Cafe and Bar I feel like I should be dressed in some sort of James Bond tuxedo, speaking with a British accent. That's not because the place is overly fancy; it just has this aura of sop...

Ramen Danbo - Robson St.

Cuisine: RAMEN The Down Low:  there are so many options out there, and if you are willing to wait in a line, Danbo is not a spot you should miss. Irasshaimase! Favorite Dish: does it really matter? But once I went with a colleague who only ordered the gyoza (known as a "dumpling" among white people, at least from Calgary). Let's just say that my colleague did not last long in Vancouver. Music Pairing: some groovy Jean Tonique and Majestic Casual I don't spend many weekends in Vancouver, but when my brother is visiting and wants a 'real house husbands of Vancouver' experience, I take him to ramen for a hearty lunch. And there are few better ramen spots for house husbands than Ramen Danbo.  I am hopeful to someday be a house husband. I can drop the kids off at school, and pop into a local ramen establishment to inhale the food energy I need for the rest of the day. Stand in line for at least 20 minutes with all the other house husbands. Chat ...

Nuba - Davie St.

Cuisine:  Lebanese The Down Low:  I don't feel terribly unhealthy after eating there. Unless lots and lots hummus is bad for you.... Favorite Dish:  The eggplant (paired with some olives) Music Set: Mossy in the Clouds Ah Nubaaaaaaa. Although I'm sure the Lebanese are good at many things, I know they have mastered the art of giving FRESH cuts, and at Nuba they have proven their buds for great food. Now I do not have many points of comparison, but I often mistakenly associate that region to just shawarma. I'm glad I can add some "variety" to my experience. But I think every time I have gone I forget what I ate the time before. Actually putting some thought to it now, I realize I read the menu and jump to the eggplant every time. My vegetable for the week. Careful causing a seizure with a camera flash in this candle-ambiance Lebanese Arabic looks a lot like our alphabet.... Good thing I had a candle to make me feel less lonely this t...